Monday, April 12, 2021

Spring Making

 I have a feeling Blogger has changed a few times since I last updated:  truthfully I am not sure if this is even going to work.  However, I will give it a try.  I am feeling the need to document my makes again. It is probably because I still feel so isolated:  moving to a new place during a pandemic is not fun.   Youtube is good for a quick update every so often, but I so often debate whether I am going to continue making videos or not.  So anyway, for now, I am going to try to put my makes back on here as well.

April:  not the nicest month where I currently live.  Still no signs of Spring coming except for the huge flock of Canada Geese that have settled on the nearby pond.  We even had a blizzard on Saturday night.


To look at the bright side it gives me lots of time to craft.  

I set myself a couple of crochet challenges for this year:  one pair of socks and one cowl per month; plus four sweaters.  One sweater is complete; another on the hooks, and I have been keeping up with the socks and cowls.  This month I chose some cheerful yellow-peach yarn.  I purchased this at my last local yarn store from the clearance bin.  I wish I had bought more:  I love the gradiant colour changes,  and because the skein was divided by a strip of blue yarn it was easy to match each sock.



I finished a shrug for my birthday. Still not sure if I am a shrug person, but it was good to try something different.  


 The pattern is from this book:



I used Premiere Cotton Fair, a thicker yarn than what the designer called for, so it came out just a tad bigger.  I have started another one with a fingering weight yarn and will see how I like that size.

I had problems with the starting chain, both on the finished one and the one I am working on now.  I keep skipping stitches inadvertently and don't notice until the end.  Unfortunately that means I have to rip out all the way back and start over.  With a fingering weight yarn I find it very fiddly, so I plan to dig out every stitch marker I have and put them into the appropriate chain before I start the second row.  After that it is a breeze:  for my first shrug I worked one repeat per day for a nice, stress-free project.

I made great progress on my Celtic Spring cross stitch piece by Lavender and Lace over Lent this year.  When I first started cross stitching I would see ads in stitching magazines for these Celtic Ladies.  I thought if I ever got to the point where I could stitch one of them I would be a real, honest and true stitcher!  Really these are not difficult to stitch at all, but oh my, those borders have almost done me in!  Next time I will do the borders first to get them out of the way.  I have found multiple needles threaded in the colours I need is helping.


My goal is to have her completely stitched and the beading started by the end of April.  If I break the stitching up into little chunks I think I can make it.  

After the discipline of not starting anything new over Lent I was more than ready for a new start.  It also being my birthday I had grand plans of starting just about everything!  I wanted something small and quick at first:  I chose the April stockings by Blackbird Designs.  I actually had no intention of stitching all three this year, but I was having so much fun I just kept going.


All are stitched on 32 count Antique White Lugana with my own over-dyed threads.  I found the little butterfly beads in my stash and thought they would make a fun, Spring-time accent.  I also used beads in place of stitches on the umbrella stocking, though it is a bit hard to see here.

My other new start is more of a journey project.  I thought I would start this Dimensions Gold kit - "Wreath Of All Seasons" - and see how much of each seasonal part I could stitch in the three months of that corresponding season.  I made a very small start on the Spring section and think I will try to stitch on it one week per month.  I am definitely a seasonal stitcher so I thought it might be a fun way to make some progress on this gorgeous kit.


There we have it for now.  I think this took two hours to write up, so now I definitely remember the drawbacks to blogging!  

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Jenn! Always enjoy seeing a post from you! And yes--blogging takes a ton of time compared to IG :) I still try to post twice a month to keep myself accountable and record my stitching, recipes, and travel (not much of that this year--ha ha!).

I hope you will begin to meet people in your new location soon--what a time in history to have to relocate! Sorry the weather isn't cooperating either.

I loved seeing all of your crochet and stitching project. Those stockings are darling and the shrug is the prettiest color! I'll look forward to watching that pretty seasonal wreath grow, too! Hope spring arrives soon for you ♥

Jenn M said...

Thank you Carol! I have no idea how to reply to comments anymore: I have been away too long! Have fun with that beautiful boy!
Jenn

Susan Zarzycki said...

Your projects are lovely! And very inspiring. I hunted for the pattern book on EBay and bought it.Thanks so much for sharing.🌷🌸🌷

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like