Thursday, February 27, 2014

Quilty Day

Bear with me, I'm feeling a little bit proud at the moment!






Thank-you, Snowstorm, for making me stay at home today.  I am finished the quilt.  Finished.  Fin.  Finito.  Wow, this one has been a long time in the works.  I think at least five years.  Not because it was hard, but because I get bored easily;  and I learned how to crochet; and I got a paid job; then I left paid job.  It's just one of those things - I know I'm not alone out there.

Part of the reason it took so long to do was that I did not want to quilt it on my machine with a regular presser foot.  I coughed up to buy real cotton batting (love!), so I did not want all those nasty puckers at the back that even shrunken cotton batting could not hide.  Last fall I finally broke down and ordered a walking foot, and I have to say it was well worth the investment.  I am a walking foot convert.

I said in my last post that I was getting tired of this and did not like it anymore.  Well, I changed my mind.  I love it.  The colours have been a real treat to work with these past few days when I look outside and know that Spring is a long, long way off yet.  Throughout all the quilting I imagined this in our someday lake cottage.  Lots of good energy went into this for sure.


It is almost the right size for a twin sized bed; a single would be just perfect.  I photographed it on a double bed just to be able to see everything.  The backing is a pretty pink I bought a whole year or more after I bought the other fabric.  I think I was very lucky to find such a good match.



I was originally going to make binding out of the pink floral; but when I finished quilting the top everything was so flat I could just fold the backing fabric over and sew it to the front.  Easy, peasy.



Someone else likes it too; or perhaps she's just trying to get my attention because I have been devoting my time to this and not her.


Here are all of my quilts together. Stacked so neatly I feel more proud of my efforts than ready to point out all their flaws.  I thought this would be my last bigger quilt, but I have a feeling there are more to come.  Just not too soon:)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray!!! Well done you! That quilt is just completely Pretty with a capital 'P'! I'm so glad you rekindled your love for it... ;-) Chrissie x

mrs. smythe said...

Oh! So beautiful and so spring-ish! Just what I needed to see this evening. I really like the fabrics you've chosen.

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like