Saturday, February 1, 2014

I Couldn't Wait

I was bound and determined to wait until Feb. 1 to start anything Valentine-ish.  However, after seeing this beautiful doily at HaakKamer7 I was all aflutter to stitch it in pinks and reds.  Yesterday I pulled the junkiest yarn I have out of storage (100% acrylic and murder on my left index finger as I was hooking) and got to it.  I hooked like a madwoman, almost forgetting to pick up the kids from school.  I would have posted a photo last night but the lighting was bad, so at least it makes it's debut in February!


I can be truthful in saying it's not the prettiest thing in the world; in fact, a couple of years ago I would have cited this as the perfect reason not to take up crochet.  It's thick, and uses gross acrylic yarn; the colours clash and it's totally like something from a 1970's bad church bazaar.

 However, I love it.


I love that crochet has given me another way to play with colour in a way that cross stitch doesn't so much.  I love that my sense of sight and touch are both fulfilled at the same time when I'm doing it.  I love that I can sit down and bang out a project in a few hours.  I love crochet so much that the time spent ripping out stitches - and believe me there is a lot of that, even with this project - is perfectly OK with me.  This doily is a perfect example of all the above, and that's why I am still swooning over it.

Thanks for visiting and your sweet comments:)

Jenn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya! I'm making stuff now that I would have rolled my eyes at in my 20s! Nevermind, as long as we're happy now - and I am convinced that we are making and displaying these gorgeous crochet items in much more stylish and contemporary ways than our great-grandmothers...of course we are...;-) Chrissie x

Wendy said...

I love it too! the colours don't clash!

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like