Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Back to It

After an extremely long holiday my kids are finally back in school.  I don't think I was the only mom in our school district who spent yesterday cleaning house, getting groceries and just getting back to a routine.  I had forgotten how much work it is to keep my household in order:  last night I was trying not to fall asleep at 8pm!  Yes, such is life after two months of being a princess...

I had hoped to get a little crafting done yesterday as my mind is absolutely bursting with things I want to make.  Alas, I didn't have the time, but I had a pretty good weekend so I can't complain.
My Favourite Girl has discovered the joys of Pinterest, and asked me to make her a shark pencil case for school.  She specifically requested pink patchwork and I was only too happy to comply:



 The pattern is from Patchwork Posse, and you can find the tutorial here.  I had a bit of trouble with the zipper on the first one, so for the second shark I made a few adjustments.  I had not planned on making two, but My Favourite Boy wanted one as well and who was I to say no?

Another project from the Pinterest files is this poppy embroidery:


The original was for sale in an Etsy shop, but I don't see her making them anymore.  I would loved to make an orange one as well, but I could only find red fabrics.  This looks great with my poppy pillows!

I have had apples, apples, apples on my mind since we went apple picking last week.  I ordered this sweet chart from Little House Needleworks and started stitching it as soon as my order arrived last week.  



The fabric apple was a bit of an experiment.  I would say my pattern made a very successful pumpkin shape, so I will file it away for October!  It was fun to try something different though.

Isn't the school bus cute?  My Favourite Girl painted this rock years ago and I thought it was very clever of her at the time.  It's not often she pulls out the crafting supplies anymore, preferring to spend time on her iPad chatting with friends and watching videos.  I like to remember the 'old' days when self confidence and art projects never really had anything to do with each other!  She has started a craft board on her Pinterest account, so hopefully she will get back to creating things just for the fun of it again.  A mom can dream!

Now I see it's almost time for the kids to get off the real school bus so I must go.  Thank you for all the love on my last projects - I really appreciate you taking the time to get in touch.

Happy Days!
Jenn

4 comments:

The House with the Blue Door said...

Glad you had a good summer holiday - it's lovely to see you back. I love the shark pencil cases! My kids would've loved those when they were young. I might try making some for my nephews. The little apple cross stitch is pretty and the fabric apple is a success. The poppies too - you have been very industrious!
Cathy x

Carol said...

Oh, how cute are those shark pencil cases?! Just adorable and I predict very successful school years for your kids with those in their backpacks :) The poppies finish is darling, Jenn--good for you for following up on your Pinterest pins. I tend to pin and forget :) And I do love the apple stitching and fabric apple.

I do hope your daughter returns to crafting--it is so good for the soul :) And her painted bus proves she has talent!

Brigitte said...

You have been busy, Jenn, and you made some great things. I am sure that your kids were thrilled with their new pencil cases. And you poppy embroidery looks just wonderful. Pinterest is so great for getting ideas, isn't it?
It's easy to have apples on your mind at this time of the year. I am even thinking of baking an apple cake when seeing all these apples at the store - although I don't like baking, lol. Very sweet, your little LHN finish.

mrs. smythe said...

Love the pencil cases! Also - the little rock bus is a treasure!! We saw a drop in crafting after my oldest daughter got an iPhone. She and her sister are also avid fans of Mine Craft. They did pull out the old crafting looms several weeks back to make some hats. But that was on a day we decided everyone had to take a break from digital devices.

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like