Monday, May 18, 2015

Lilac Time



I think this must be the most beautiful time of year, isn't it?  Just about everything that can bloom here is doing so:  the apple and cherry trees are frothy with blossoms and buzzing with bees, and the lilacs are showing off like I have never seen them do before.  I guess they are all grateful our extra cold winter is behind us too!

Last weekend was Mother's Day, and I thought it might be fun to have tea outside as the weather could not have been better.  I got out my pretty dishes and Murchies Earl Grey; Mr. Crafty World bought some lovely sweet cakes from the Italian bakery.


Every time I pull out my silver tea pot I keep thinking, "I really need a tea cozy for this one".  So promptly after tea was finished I set to work making one.  I used the 'Gather Lilacs' tea cozy pattern from Issue 51  of Bustle and Sew magazine.  I have to tell you it was quite the sensory delight to stitch lilacs outside while being able to smell the lilacs all around me!  That afternoon I got the embroidery finished and on Friday night I constructed the cozy.



It was a lot of fun choosing the fabric for the patchwork.  It's a good thing I don't have a huge selection of purple fabrics or I probably would have been paralyzed by indecision!


The lilac fabric was perfect for the backing.  I have been waiting for a chance to use it.


The inside is another piece of thrifted fabric.  I thought it had a nice, vintage look to it with its green background and purple roses.


Tea, anyone?

Thanks for visiting!

xoJenn

4 comments:

The House with the Blue Door said...

Oh my goodness, your tea cosy is fabulous! Lilac is my favourite flower of all, and your embroidery captures it perfectly, as do the fabrics. Afternoon tea outside is such a treat at this time of year. A beautiful post :)
Cathy x

Brigitte said...

So wonderful, your new tea cozy with lilacs on it and using that beautiful fabric. I particularly love the last picture with the tea cozy next to the vase with lilacs. They are some of my favourite bushes in spring and we have them in three different colours, white lilac and deep purple.

mrs. smythe said...

Beautiful! I'm amazed at how quickly you were able to finish this project!

Helen Philipps said...

Beautiful post.....I love your lilacs and your gorgeous lilac tea cosy, perfect for your special tea table!
Helen xox

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like