I didn't think it would sell so quickly, but it did! I was a little sad to see it go, because it had been something I had wanted for a really long time. After owning it for a while, I could see the limitations for me. It was awkward having the presser food sit on top of the treadle (because there was no other place for it); and all that cast iron plus the machine made it really heavy. I did miss the drawers for storage and the extended surface though.
For the past several months I have been on the hunt for a new sewing table that would give me enough surface for sewing and storage for my notions. Before Christmas I found the perfect solution at Goodwill, and it was half price furniture day to boot!
Just for the record, it did not look like this when I bought it! It was all dark, dark brown, and the added pieces were plain MDF. She wasn't really very pretty!
At one time this had a sewing machine with it, but a previous owner had removed it and cut a piece to fit the hole the machine swung down into. They also put another shelf underneath the knee well. This was just fine for me, because all I wanted was a table. Both added pieces are on hinges as well, so it's really convenient.
Of course I hemmed and hawed for a week or so deciding how I was going to give it a make-over. I have always wanted to give chalk paint a try, and thought a nice pink or duck egg blue would be lovely. In a magazine I saw a picture of an antique table, painted cream with a stained top. *Ping!* I knew I had found my finish. Also one that Mr. Crafty World wouldn't cringe at!
I have to say I am underwhelmed at the chalk paint finish. I used Martha Stewart chalk paint in 'Linen', but I find it streaky and there are lots of brush strokes showing. I have a feeling that if I ever bring this table upstairs and get to see it in lots of natural light I am going to hate it.
The original finish was a nightmare to sand off. I only did the top parts of the fold out pieces and decided to paint the interior parts. It was only after I stained one of the top pieces I remembered I had originally decided not to stain, but to only wax the top. Grr!
On a recent trip to the thrift store I found a roll of this wrapping paper which I thought was so pretty. I used it to line the drawers, and also to cover the MDF shelf under the top. Since I will be storing my machine on that shelf when I'm not using it, I covered the wrapping paper with some clear vinyl to keep it from getting ripped.
Now I am puttering around and filling up the drawers with all my bits and pieces that have been stashed here and there. I am very excited to use my new table!
Here's a funny little post script: a while back I was driving down the main street of our next town. I looked out the window and what did I see, but my old Singer treadle machine in the window of a dry cleaner/alteration shop! So glad to know she didn't get disassembled for parts, and gets to be admired by lots of different people on their way by.