On a previous trip to France I had the opportunity to go to a real French brocante. I saw the signs posted on a few telephone poles, and even though I wasn't exactly sure if I was translating properly, I knew I wanted to go. One grey and rainy day my FIL drove me out to the country and we found it, and it was exactly what I was hoping for! A French flea market in one of those villages seemingly in the middle of nowhere, with the brocante conveniently located at the foot of a ruined castle.
Of course I was seriously limited in my ability to buy anything, being that: a) everything was very old and very expensive; and b) I didn't have a lot of room left in my suitcase. At a textile stall I found a piece of needlepoint: it was an unusual shade of green and finished into a circle shape. I don't know if it was always intended to be that shape or if the stitcher just got bored and left it as is. Once I figured out the pricing (after many 'je ne comprend pas' on my part and much eye-rolling on the vendor's part) I was in possession of my own bit of French brocante.
It took five years for me to get that tapestry out of my own sous-sol, but this weekend I finally finished it off into a pillow for my bedroom. Voila!
What had hindered me for the longest time was finding a fabric to use around the sides. By some sort of fluke I had a strip of green fabric I had bought as a sample for potential drapes that went perfectly with the green background in the needlepoint. I backed the cushion with a piece of dark green velveteen that previously had a life as a bedroom curtain! Now when I see it I am reminded of the Rauzan Brocante everyday :)