Thursday, October 1, 2009

Odds and Ends

I have had a blissful two days sewing and crafting. I think I finally got over my sewing inertia and can finally complete a few projects that have been languishing in my inbox, or start some new ones that have been brewing in my brain.

My first finish has been in the works for over a year now. I picked up a calendar frame last year at Goodwill, and lo and behold my calendars didn't fit in it. I liked the carved flowers at the top, and wanted to use it for something else, but it took me a few weeks to figure out what. Once I decided, I had to paint the frame, leave it in the garage for 8 months; put on a second coat; decide what fabric to use; how to incorporate my cross stitch that wasn't quite wide enough.... A year later here it is:
What the heck is it you ask? It's my new jewelry holder. I currently don't have a safe spot for my china posey pins or necklaces and bracelets. Now I can see my pretty pins and my other stuff, and my pins aren't getting chipped. I used up some toile fabric that I have had for a very long time, which coincidentally goes very well with my silk cross stitch. Really it's a pretty dust collector, but I am happy, happy, happy.


At my last dance class they were giving out water bottles. I wanted to sew something small and quick, so I made this water bottle holder with some left-over toile from the jewelry holder. I am very happy with how it turned out. Now I don't have to carry it in my hand when I'm out walking.


My Favorite Girl takes dance at the same studio, so she got a water bottle too. She liked my holder, so I made one for her. My Favorite Boy couldn't be left out, so he got one as well. He carried it around all day yesterday, much to Mr. Crafty World's dismay. He doesn't think water bottle carriers are as cool as we do. I think he might just get one in his Christmas stocking...


I spent most of the day yesterday making pillow covers for our couch. I'm not very technically minded so it's no lie when I say it took me most of the day! Anyway they're done, and today I get to move on to something different. This is the first day in a very long time that I have the house to myself. No kids, no houseguest, and no contractors. I had a big smile on my face when I came home from dropping MFB off at school. It's nice to have my house be mine again. I'm just going to ignore the mess upstairs and play at my sewing machine.
Have a blissful day!

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

What a great idea for your calendar holder! I thought it might have been a bulletin board but I like the jewelery idea too :o)

Those bottle holders are too cute! What would it take for you to make one for me? ;o)

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like