Monday, May 18, 2009

Rule Britannia

Finally a nice day to our long weekend. We haven't been up to much; a few crafts, some outside work, and a little cupcake decorating. The last time I made cupcakes I had way too many, so I froze the excess. It was so nice to just pull them out and start decorating them once they had thawed. I really think that's the way to go. In the spirit of the day we made Union Jack cupcakes, and my Favorite Girl and Boy had their own interpretations:






We put candy maple leaves in the centers to add our own stamp. Plus, I couldn't resist making the little cutie on the left. We are, after all, Canadian!

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen this weekend. I made two batches of Butter Tart Squares (no fiddling with tiny crusts) and an ooey, gooey caramel-pecan-chocolate chip square. I also made biscotti for the first time too: a double chocolate pistachio kind courtesy of Every Day Food magazine. I still need to take a picture of them; they are quite pretty. I was pleased to use some of my pistachio sugar. I got it in France last year and it has been sitting patiently in my cupboard for 11 months. I'm that type of person: I'll buy something but won't use it because then I won't have it anymore! I am trying to change my ways though:)

As it's still nice out and we have finished our crafts, the kids are wanting to go back outside. Ever tried to type with this background music: "Are you done yet? When are we going outside? Are you done typing yet? You're sure making a lot of mistakes"? Now I know why my mum banned us from her bedroom when she was writing a letter.

Enjoy the rest of your Victoria Day!

No comments:

You Might Also Like

You Might Also Like